What is 2-1-1?
2-1-1 is a free community service that provides callers with information about referrals to social services for every day needs and in time of crisis. You can reach them by dialing 2-1-1 on any phone, or visiting their website here.
Benefits of 2-1-1
- Telephone assistance provided by trained call specialists.
- Access for persons who have special needs.
- Accurate information about community resources.
- Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Types of Referrals Offered by 2-1-1
A Few Things To Remember
- 2-1-1 is an information and referral service only.
- 2-1-1 can only provide a list of organizations that have programs that may meet the needs of a person in crisis.
- 2-1-1 cannot guarantee that an individual will receive benefits or be served by an organization in the community.
- 2-1-1 can provide a referral but the caller will have to follow up with individual organizations.
- Organizations often have eligibility criteria that callers will have to meet to receive services.
- Organizations may required callers provide documents in order to be served.
- Sadly, organizations often have limited resources so there is a possibility that a caller may qualify for a service but not receive assistance because the resources have been exhausted.