what IS 2-1-1?
2-1-1 is a free community service that provides callers with information about referrals to social services for every day needs and in time of crisis. Lake Area United Way partners with Northwest Indiana Community Action to operate the 2-1-1 Call Center.
BENEFITS OF 2-1-1
- Telephone assistance provided by trained call specialists.
- Access for persons who have special needs.
- Accurate information about community resources.
- available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Toll free telephone call from Lake, Porter, Newton, Jasper, Starke, and Pulaski.
types of referrals offered by 2-1-1
a few things to remember
- 2-1-1 is an information and referral service only.
- 2-1-1 can only provide a list of organizations that have programs that may meet the needs of a person in crisis.
- 2-1-1 cannot guarantee that an individual will receive benefits or be served by an organization in the community.
- 2-1-1 can provide a referral but the caller will have to follow up with individual organizations.
- Organizations often have eligibility crteria that callers will have to meet to receive services.
- Organizations may required callers provide documents in order to be served.
- Sadly, organizations often have limited resources so there is a possiblity that a caller may qualify for a service but not receive assistance because the resources have been exhausted.